Duane LOHPhD, Cornell University, USA (2010)
Tel : (65) 9638 5508
Email : email@example.com
Microscopy is inherently data-informed. We combine modeling, machine learning and optics to create computational lenses to re-invent high-resolution microscopy. My group uses a data-informed approach to tackle fundamental and applied problems in the following fields:
- three-dimensional single-particle imaging,
- structural motifs in disordered materials,
- order-disorder phase transitions,
- nanoparticle dynamics in thin films,
- transient heterogeneous ensembles in non-equilibrium systems.
Despite their small sizes and scattering cross sections, nanoscale cluster aggregates can be serially fingerprinted and morphologically sorted in-situ. This image shows a simulated clusters that are amenable to such methods.
N. Duane Loh, et. al. "Multi-step nucleation of nanocrystals in aqueous solution”, Nature Chemistry 9, 77-82, 2017.
U. Anand, J. Lu, D. Loh, Z. Aabdin, and U. Mirsaidov, “Hydration Layer-mediated Pairwise Interaction of Nanoparticles” Nano Letters 16, 786 (2015).
J. A. Sellberg, C. Huang, T. A. McQueen, N. D. Loh, H. Laksmono, D. Schlesinger, R. G. Sierra, L. G. M. Pettersson, M. J. Bogan, A. Nilsson, et al. “Ultrafast X-ray probing of water structure below the homogeneous ice nucleation temperature” Nature 510, 381 (2014).
N. D. Loh, et al., “Sensing the wavefront of x-ray free-electron lasers using aerosol spheres” Opt. Express 21, 12385 (2013).
N. D. Loh, C. Y. Hampton, A. V Martin, D. Starodub, R. G. Sierra, A. Barty, M. J. Bogan et al. “Fractal morphology, imaging and mass spectrometry of single aerosol particles in flight”. Nature. 486, 513–517 (2012).
N.-T. D. Loh, V. Elser, Reconstruction algorithm for single-particle diffraction imaging experiments. Phys. Rev. E. 80, 6705 (2009).
Affiliations & Links
- PI at the Centre for Bio-imaging Sciences, Department of Biological Sciences, NUS.
- Joint appointment with Department of Biological Sciences, NUS.
- Affiliate at the SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory, Menlo Park, CA USA.
- Personal Webpage